Shavlik Patch for Microsoft System Center is an add-in that extends Microsoft’s System Center Configuration Manager capabilities by enabling you to publish third-party updates and legacy products no longer supported by Configuration Manager. With Shavlik Patch you leverage a single Configuration Manager workflow for publishing updates for both Microsoft and non-Microsoft products.
Shavlik Patch consists of two components:
- Update catalog: Contains the detection and deployment logic used to patch non-Microsoft products and legacy Microsoft products. The catalog consists of a large number of update files from a number of different software vendors including Adobe, Apple, Firefox, Sun, and others.
- Add-in to the Configuration Manager console: Used to select updates from the catalog, publish them to your WSUS servers, and synchronize with Configuration Manager. This allows you to patch your legacy Microsoft products and your non-Microsoft products using the same Configuration Manager workflow used to patch Microsoft products.
Shavlik’s SCUPdates product has been around since 2010 and provides an integrated 3rd party patching experience for users of Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager. Back in February 2014, Shavlik announced a new feature set and new name for SCUPdates. Calling it Shavlik Patch for Microsoft System Center, the product supports Configuration Manager 2012, 2012 SP1 and 2012 R2.
Shavlik Patch Features
- Integrated plugin for the SCCM 2012 console
- View of available patches
- Select patches to publish and expire
- Smart filtering of patches based on multiple criteria (vendor, product, etc.)
- Check for and download new patch data automatically
- Publish new patches automatically based on smart filter
- Auto-detect Windows Software Update Server
- Digital Certificate management
- Handles difficult to install patches including Java
- Streamline handling of bundled patches such as Apple
- Shavlik Patch Supported Products list
- Shavlik Patch for Microsoft System Center
- Shavlik Patch for Microsoft System Center Release Notes
- Shavlik Patch for Microsoft System Center Free Trial
Postings in this series:
Using Shavlik Patch with Configuration Manager 2012 R2 – Part 1 : Introduction
Using Shavlik Patch with Configuration Manager 2012 R2 – Part 2 : System Requirements
Using Shavlik Patch with Configuration Manager 2012 R2 – Part 3 : Installing the Shavlik Patch Configuration Manager Add-in
Using Shavlik Patch with Configuration Manager 2012 R2 – Part 4 : Configuring Your Shavlik Patch Settings
Using Shavlik Patch with Configuration Manager 2012 R2 – Part 5 : How to Publish Updates
Using Shavlik Patch with Configuration Manager 2012 R2 – Part 6 : Expiring Third-Party Updates